THE GHOSTS SINCE 1884 Fakenham Town were established in 1884, long before the moder*n non-league pyramid took shape. The club’s official history does not give a single founding manifesto or named founding group, but it does record that Fakenham’s first match was a 2-1 win against Lynn Alexandria. That places the club inside a late-Victorian football world where towns, villages, workplaces, schools, churches, and local sporting groups were beginning to form the roots of organised football. Fakenham were not founded into a polished league system. They emerged as part of a growing football culture in a Norfolk market town. The first home was Hempton Green. One early Good Friday match there against Holt reportedly drew more than 2,000 spectators, which gives Fakenham’s earliest ground story real weight. The club later moved to Star Meadow in 1889 and then to Baron’s Hall Lawn in 1907, a ground shared with the local cricket club. The colours are clearer than the reason behind them. The club website FAQ states that Fakenham traditionally play in amber and black, with red and white used for the away kit. But the origin of amber and black has not yet surfaced in the available official material, and comments from any fan who can offer any stories behind the colours would be very much welcomed. The nickname is one of the best parts of the club identity. Fakenham Town are affectionately known as “The Ghosts,” a nickname confirmed by the club. The club website also uses the line “Home of The Ghosts Since 1884,” making the nickname central to the public identity of the club. Where “The Ghosts” came from is less certain. Base of the Pyramid notes that it may connect to Robert Bloomfield’s poem The Fakenham Ghost, but the author is clear that this is speculative. If any fans could shed more light on it, would be awesome? Fakenham Town are The Ghosts, the nickname is real, but the origin story still needs the supporters and club historians to make it complete.
Posted by SpectataAdmin2 at 2026-06-01 22:19:55 UTC